分享到:

  • 中英文对照
  • 英语原文

双击原文单词看解释

原文跟读文本阅读

I’m in a tiny, tiny branch of the population somewhere between a dog and a human.
我属于人类中一个非常微小的分支,介于犬科动物和人类之间。
And I didn’t think it was an insult, I thought that’s quite nice I can smell better than most humans.
我不认为这是一种侮辱,我认为拥有比大多数人更灵敏的嗅觉是一件很棒的事情。
I’m Joy Milne. I’m 67 and I smell Parkinson’s.
我叫乔伊·米尔恩,今年67岁。我能闻出帕金森病。
My husband was a doctor, I was a nurse. I sensed a strange smell when he was around and caused a bit of contention
我的丈夫是一名医生,我是一名护士。当他靠近我的时候,我总能闻到一股特殊的气味,这引起了我们之间的一些争论。
because I said he wasn’t brushing his teeth and he wasn’t showering and so on and so forth, so I just had to be quiet.
因为我认为他没有刷牙或洗澡,如此等等。因此我必须要保持沉默。
But then we went to a Parkinson’s meeting and my nose just thought ‘wow’ .
但当我们参加一个帕金森病患者的聚会时,我的鼻子突然意识到“哇”。
This experiment is to see whether Joy can distinguish the Parkinson’s smells from the samples
我们实验的目的是看看乔伊是否能通过我们提供的样本判断出帕金森病的气味,
that we’ve taken from patients as they’re separated.
这些样本是我们从不同的患者那里拿到的。
And if she smells it we’ll then know right away what that molecule is.
如果她能够闻出来,我们就能立刻知道是哪种分子。
It heavy, thick musk smell. Very different.
那是一种浓厚的,麝香的气味。非常独特。
People with Parkinson’s and their carers and their families, they will tell you that smell is there.
帕金森病患者,包括他们的护工和家人,身上都染着这种气味。
I smelled it 10 to 12 years before Les was diagnosed. As the Parkinson’s got worse the smell got worse.
我在莱斯确诊10-12年前就闻到了这股气味。随着帕金森病越来越严重,这种气味也越来越明显。
And it became just part of him, but I with my sensitive sense of smell, I could smell it all the time and it became quite uncomfortable really
这种气味慢慢变为他的一部分。但是因为我异常敏感的嗅觉,我能时时刻刻闻到它。坦白来说这让人非常不适。
but I had the sense not to nag too much.
但是我知道我不能抱怨太多。
We just put “Les would like to thank you for your friendship and many happy memories over the years”. So that’s at his funeral.
我们说:“莱斯感谢您的友情,以及过去数年的快乐回忆。”这就是他的葬礼。
It’s good news, god you’re a wonder Joy.
这是个好消息,上帝啊,你是神奇乔伊。
I mean, that time when you smelled Les on other people and then now we’re here, it’s sort of amazing.
我是说,那时你在别人身上闻到了莱斯的气息,然后我们就取得了这样的进展,这真是不可思议。
The best we’ve done, it really is.
这是我们能做到的最好的结果,真的。
It’s horrible watching your partner change like that. It really is.
看着你的伴侣慢慢发生那样的变化是一件很恐怖的事情。真的。
If we get the test right, then we’ll never get to that stage
如果我们的实验能够成功,也许帕金森病永远也不会发展到那个阶段了,
because at that stage of diagnosis, 60 to 70 percent of damage, neural damage is already done.
因为一旦发展到能确诊的阶段,60-70%的神经性损伤就已经发生了。
We’re not going to find a cure at the moment. It’s not there, but to stop or alleviate it, it’s just going to be tremendous.
我们现在无法找到治疗帕金森病的方案,现在还无法实现治愈。但是让它不再发展或是减轻症状,也是一件非常伟大的事情。

点击加载更多

上一篇: Succession

下一篇:

评论

64x64
词汇
我的生词本
练习题
Question:
How old is Joy Milne?
A  67
B  76
C  64
显示答案