出糗! 分享到:
Eating humble pie 2018-10-2551353

  • 中英文对照
  • 英语原文

双击原文单词看解释

原文跟读文本阅读

Welcome back to the chaotic offices of Tip Top Trading.Now Denise has left the company, the place is a mess and important phone messages are being lost.What can be done to make things better? I think we know the answer!
欢迎大家回到顶级贸易公司的混乱办公室。如今,Denise已离开,公司一片混乱,重要电话留言也丢了。哎,到底该怎么做才能好转呢?我想我们已知道答案了!
(Door opens) Hi. Did anyone take a message for me while I was out? I’m expecting an important call .
(门开了)嗨。昨天我出去了,有没有人帮我带口信啊?我在等一个重要的电话。
Err… no!
呃。。。没有!
Actually yes Paul. I wrote it on Tom’s hand but he washed it off.
其实有,Paul。我把消息写在Tom手上,后来让他洗掉了。
Look, good hygiene’s very important to me.
这说明良好卫生对我很重要。
Hmm. That’s not very good is it?What’s wrong with writing on a piece of paper?
恩,不怎么好。为什么不写在纸上呢?
We’ve run out of paper… and pens.
呃。。。我们的纸和钢笔都用没了。
Everything really. Nobody’s ordered any stationery or tidied up the office.
是啊,啥都没了。没人买文具,也没人收拾办公室。
It’s since Denise left.
自从Denise离开就这样了。
Yes, maybe I was a bit hasty getting rid of her. It was really just to save money.
是啊,或许把她开除太仓促了,我当时就是为了省钱。
Yeah, but look, if we can’t take messages from possible clients we’re going to lose even more money.
没错,可如果拿不到潜在客户的消息,那么我们损失的将更多啊。
Yes… I suppose you have a point. Maybe I will to have reinstate her.
是啊,你说的对。或许我该给她复职。
You mean, get her back?
你是说,让她回来?
Yes Anna, he does. Another way of saying reinstate is he’s got to ’reverse his decision’.It means Paul has got to make an awkward call to Denise.
是的,Anna。复职的另一种说法是reverse his decision(改变决定)。这下Paul得给Denise打电话了。
Look Paul, you’re going to have to call her and tell her you’ve made an error… a huge one actually.
Paul,你要给她打电话,告诉她你犯了个大错误。
It wasn’t that huge ? Actually… Anna, you’re her good friend, would you like to call her?
没那么严重吧?Anna,你是Denise的好朋友,你给她打吧?
Me?! B-b- but I can’t.
我??不行。。
What a coward! I think it’s time to stand your ground Anna.Tell him “You’re the boss, I th ink it’s better coming from you”,and remind him “it was your decision so you need to explain the situation”, and remind him “this is your responsibility”.You could suggest he says “I’m sorry, I made a mistake and we would love to have you back.”
你这个胆小鬼!Anna,你得坚持自己立场。告诉Paul“你是老板,由你来打会更好”。提醒他“解雇Denise是你的决定,所以你得自己解释清楚”“这是你的责任”。你还可以建议他说“对不起,我错了,我们希望你回来。”
OK. Do you know what Paul, I think the news is better coming from you… just to make it official.
好的。Paul,你知道吗?我觉得你打电话会更好,显得很正式。
Yeah Paul, you are the boss after all.
是啊,Paul,毕竟你是老板嘛。
And it was your decision in the first place so you need to explain that the situation has changed.
而且当初决定解雇她的是你,所以你得自己去解释情况。
Well, maybe you’re right but I can’t tell her I’m wrong can I?
呃,或许你说的对,但我不能向她认错。
Look, just say you’re sorry. Tell her you made a mistake and I would love to have you back… we all would.
没事的,就说你很抱歉。告诉她你错了,希望她回来上班。。。我们都希望的。
Yes, you’re right. I should do it. I’ll just have a quick biscuit. Here goes (Dials number )
也是,你说的对。我现在就打。恩,吃口饼干,来吧。(拨打号码)
Hello?
你好。
Ah... h - h - h - ello Denise. It’s me… Paul…your boss… your ex-boss from Tip Top Trading.
啊。。。你好,Denise。我是顶级贸易公司的Paul,你的前任老板。
Oh.
哦。
How are you… getting on?
你现在。。。还好吗?
Well…
恩,还好。
Good, good. Actually, I’ve been rethinking our staffing situation in the office…
恩。其实,我一直在重新考虑办公室人员的配置情况。。。
Yes?
恩?
And…well… I’m sorry Denise… I… miscalculated my staffing numbers.
是的,Denise,对不起。我把员工数字弄错了。
You mean you made a mistake?
你说你错了?
Well, I suppose so. So.. . I would love to have you back in the office as soon as possible. What do you say?
恩,是的。所以,我想让你尽快回到办公室。你认为怎样?
Hmm, let me think about it… hmmm… errr… well… hmmm…
呃,让我想一想。。。呃。。
What will Denise decide? It was a hard phone call for Paul to make, but not one Anna should have made as it wasn’ t her mistake.She stood her ground with Paul a nd used the following phrases:
Denise会作何决定呢?让Paul打这个电话是很艰难,但总不该Anna来打,毕竟这不是她的错。她刚刚坚持自己立场,并用到了以下短语:
You’re the boss and I think the news is better coming from you.
你是老板,由你来打会更好。
It was your decision in the first place so you need to explain that the situation has changed.
解雇Denise是你的决定,所以你得自己解释清楚。
This is your responsibility.
这是你的责任。
And here is a reminder of the phrases Paul used to try and apologise:
下面是Paul用来道歉的话语:
I’ve been rethinking our staffing situation in the office .
我一直在重新考虑办公室人员的配置情况。
Sorry, I made a mistake. I miscalculated my staffing numbers.
对不起。我把员工数字弄错了。
I would love to have you back in the office.
我想让你尽快回到办公室。
Hmmm… well… OK then. I’ll start back tomorrow.
恩,好吧。我明天就回去工作。
Oh wonderful. I’m so pleased. We’ll get your old chair back in position.
哇,太棒了!高兴死了。我们会把你的旧椅子放在原来位置。
Actually Paul, if you want me back I’ll need a new chair… and a new phone…
Paul,要想让我回去,你得给我换把新椅子。。。新手机。。。
OK Denise! See you tomorrow.
好的,Denise!明天见。
And a pay rise!
还要涨工资!
So, is she coming back then?
Denise回来吗?
Yes, first thing tomorrow.
恩,明天就回来。
That’s good because we’ve just had a call from Nice ’n’Cheesy –they said nobody returned their call yesterday and they if we don’t contact them by the end of tomorrow they will go elsewhere for their plastic grapes.
太好了。因为刚刚接到美味奶酪店的电话。他们说昨天我们没人返电话,要是明晚之前再不联系它,他们就去其他公司订购塑料葡萄。
Right, we must act… and act fast.
好吧,我们得立马行动了。
Let’s hope they don’t lose that contract.At least with Denise returning to work, things will be a little more organised but for how long?Join us again next time on English at Work. Bye!
希望他们不会丢掉合同。至少Denise回来,会让事情有组织一点。但能坚持多久呢?记得收听下期职场英语哦,拜拜~

点击加载更多

上一篇: To show you the ropes

下一篇: Help! We need somebody

评论

64x64
词汇
我的生词本
练习题
Question:
What does Paul tell Denise he has been rethinking?
A  buying more biscuits
B  the staffing situation/numbers
C  buying more pens and papers
显示答案