探访伦敦的秘密银库 分享到:
Inside London’s Secret Silver Vaults 2017-12-0341588

  • 中英文对照
  • 英语原文

双击原文单词看解释

原文跟读文本阅读

It’s quite an amazing experience, coming down for the first time, because there is nothing like it in the world actually.
第一次下来的确是一段惊人的体验,因为这是世界上独一无二的。
If you’re looking to pick up some dazzling antiques, look no further than The London Silver Vaults,
如果你希望得到一些引人注目的古玩,那么伦敦银库一定是不二之选,
tucked away in an unassuming road in central London.
它藏在伦敦市中心一条不起眼的马路上。
We’re William Walter Antiques and we have an individual shop within a complex of shops down here.
我们是威廉·沃尔特古董店,是这里一系列店铺中的一家。
There’s probably 30 shops, all selling silver. So you can buy everything from this spoon from the 16th century
这一系列大约有30家商铺,都销售银器。因此,在这里你能买到一切,从16世纪的勺子,
to a 1930s silver plating machine gun or a horse’s hoof inkwell.
到20世纪30年代的镀银机关枪,或是马蹄做的墨水瓶。
Before the days of television, people got a little bit of cabin fever, so they tried to work out what were they going to do with their money next.
在电视机出现之前,人们都稍稍有点烦躁。因此他们试图弄清楚下一步该怎么花钱。
There was noting that really wasn’t made in silver.
几乎每件东西都是银制的。
Well, this is fairly unusual. It’s an 1805 cucumber slicer and there is the hallmark.
哦,这个非常少见。这是个1805年的黄瓜切片机,这儿有个印记。
It’s made by a famous maker called Thomas Phipps and Edward Robinson, more common one’s actually ivory and steel.
这是著名大师托马斯·菲普斯和爱德华·罗宾逊的作品。通常情况下这种东西由象牙和钢制成。
This is the luxury deluxe version made of silver, and it’s still plenty sharp.
这是个高级奢华版,是银制的,依然相当锋利。
John Walter is the current proprietor of William Walter Antiques, a third generation silver dealer
约翰·沃尔特现在是威廉·沃尔特古董店的业主,他是第三代银商。
who first opened their doors back in 1940 to keep London silver horde safe against the Nazi’s bombs.
他们在1940年开始经营,目的是在纳粹的漫天炮火中守护伦敦银器界的安全。
My grandfather first came down here in 1940 and he used it as storage and then from then on it, it just grew into an antique center.
我的祖父在1940年第一次来到这里,将这里当做一个储藏库。从那以后,这里渐渐发展成一个古玩中心。
And then he died in 1970 and then my father came down, now it’s mine.
祖父在1970年逝世,我的父亲接了班,现在轮到我了。
Effectively, we’re a safe deposit within a safe deposit. We have thousands of pieces
事实上,我们是保险箱中的保险箱,我们这儿有上千件物品,
– from things from a few pounds to my most expensive item, nearly a million.
从价值数磅的,到我最昂贵的,价值约一百万磅的东西。
Anyone wishing to enter into these vaults will have to pass through their vigilance safety measures.
任何想要进到银库的人,都必须通过他们严密的安防系统。
This is in the Top 5 most secure buildings in the world. I think it’s number four according to my list, behind Fort Knox,
论安全性,这座建筑可以排到世界前五。根据我的排名,我认为它应该排第四,排在诺克斯堡、
The Bank of England and I think there is another one in America, and then this place. So, it’s pretty impenetrable really.
英国银行,和美国另一座建筑之后。因此,它实际上是无懈可击的。
Here we go. Have a good look how thick that is.
来,看看这扇门有多厚。
You get a huge mixture of customers. Yeah, we have had lots of famous customers over the years.
我们的顾客形形色色。是的,这些年我们接待了许多有名的客人。
A lot of people from the Dallas cast, few prime ministers, Joanna Lumley, some I haven’t recognised.
朱门恩怨(Dallas)剧组的许多演员,几位首相,乔安娜·拉姆利,还有一些我没有认出来的。
Well, I mean they’re pretty amazed actually when they come down. Of course, I’m effectively a bit institutionalised,
我是说,当他们走下来的时候,都是相当惊讶的。实际上,我有点制度化了,
you know, having being down here all my life, I treat it as normal.
你知道,我一生都在这儿,我已经习以为常了。
But when people come down, they sort of go, ‘Oh, wow!’ There is nothing like it in the world actually.
但是当人们走进来,他们的反应就像:“哇,天啊”。这儿的确是世界上独一无二的地方。

点击加载更多

词汇
我的生词本
练习题
Question:
When did his grandfather die?
A  1940
B  1970
C  1917
显示答案